- Bat The Father, Rabbit The Son Written and performed by Donal O’Kelly
- Feeding Time: an event by and for young people aged 14 to 19
- Secret Sunrise London – Earth Hour Global Dance at Southbank Observation Place
- Movies, Memories, Magic at the iconic Cinema Museum
- Indian Hatha Yoga, Pranayama & Mantra With Ravi Dixit
- Kanan Gill Live – Central London at Greenwood Theatre
- Mobo Award-Winning Club Rotation Returns To Subterania
- Rave Rituals Saturday Rave
- Performance by Adam Christensen at Camdens Art Centre
- Paint like Picasso! Shoreditch
We Were Kings: A Screening of the Story of Burma’s Lost Royals at Hatchards
“A must-see film for anyone who wants to understand Burma today. Britain & Burma have an amazing shared history, and this film tells it with subtlety & humour that will take you by surprise.” – Levison Wood, filmmaker, author and explorer, star of Channel 4’s ‘Walking the Nile’
In 1885, the British army invaded Burma and deposed its King. He died in exile, ending a thousand years of monarchy. The royal family vanished. The country was plunged into war and the longest military dictatorship of modern times. After a century, they are back and on a journey to bring the family – past and present – together. Filmed through three years of seismic change in Burma, WE WERE KINGS is the story of a family and a country emerging from the darkness.
The film held its world premiere at London’s British Library, won the Whicker’s World Foundation Funding Award in 2016, and its first TV broadcast was in December 2017 on The History Channel.
Our host for the evening will be Robert Hardman, royal commentator, biographer, Daily Mail columnist and author. His most recent book is the critically acclaimed “Queen of the World”. Robert will be in conversation with filmmaker Alex Bescoby, an award-winning documentary producer, presenter and the filmmaker behind WE WERE KINGS. His focus on modern Burmese history at Cambridge University led him to spend the last 10 years living, working and making films in the country with his team from Grammar Productions.
The evening is kindly sponsored by Panoramic Journeys. Panoramic design thoughtfully-crafted tours for those who want to connect more meaningfully with our planet. Specialising in a handful of captivating countries – Myanmar (Burma), Mongolia, Bhutan and Nepal – they use knowledge, experience and close relationships within each country to produce journeys that go beyond expectations.
Teaser | We Were Kings – teaser 2017
We Were Kings: A Screening of the Story of Burma’s Lost Royals at Hatchards will be held on Wednesday 20th of March 2019.
Film | We Were Kings: A Screening of the Story of Burma’s Lost Royals at Hatchards