- Soen performs at O2 Academy Islington
- Disruptive writing for the 21st century author
- Mamma Roma (Subtitled) + Intro and post-film discussion
- The Jazz Cafe Presents Blackstreet
- Childish Gambino performs The O2 arena
- The Breakout Club presented by The Midi Music Company
- Wine Tasting – Wine Of The Mountains at Mercato Metropolitano
- Klub Kids presents The Twisted Circus 2 at Troxy
- Happy Reading: The Penguin Classics Pop-Up Shop at 133 Bethnal Green Rd
- London’s Grime & Punishment Walking Tour
Van Gogh & Japan: The Provence Years by Martin Bailey at Asia House
For Van Gogh, Japan held great appeal, particularly its woodblock prints. In 1888 he left Paris and headed south, to the city of Arles in Provence. In its clear light, he developed as a landscape artist under the inspiration of Japanese artists. On his arrival, he wrote that “I feel I’m in Japan”.
Join Van Gogh specialist, Martin Bailey, author of Starry Night: Van Gogh in the Asylum and co-curator of Tate’s forthcoming Van Gogh exhibition (27 March-11 August 2019), will talk about his discoveries about the artist’s period in Provence – with a particular emphasis on his love for Japanese prints.
The event is organised in collaboration with The Courtauld Institute of Art and Japan Foundation.
About Martin Bailey:
“Martin Bailey is the author of three recent books: The Sunflowers are Mine: The Story of Van Gogh’s Masterpiece, Studio of the South: Van Gogh in Provence and Starry Night (all published by Frances Lincoln). He is a correspondent for The Art Newspaper, and writes a weekly blog for them on Van Gogh (www.theartnewspaper.com). Bailey is also the external co-curator for Tate Britain’s “The EY Exhibition: Van Gogh and Britain” at Tate Britain (27 March-11 August 2019).”
This event is part of the Asia House 2019 Winter Arts and Learning Programme, a completely unique initiative in the UK in presenting a pan-Asian artistic and cultural programme with a scope of more than 40 countries in the region. Through our programme of events on arts, culture and education we act as a catalyst for the discovery of the diverse arts and cultures of Asia and the Asian diaspora, and serve as a bridge of understanding between the UK and Asia.
Van Gogh & Japan: The Provence Years by Martin Bailey at Asia House will be held Wednesday 30th January 2019.
» More info here «
Culture | Van Gogh & Japan: The Provence Years by Martin Bailey