- Met prepares for Pride in London celebrations
- Transport for London reports record high levels of cycling in the capital
- Luxury Fashion and Jewellery Pop-up at Morton’s Private Members Club
- 2019 – 30th Ealing Beer Festival
- Contemplate – free art exhibition exploring identity through food
- Olympia live at The Old Blue Last
- Life Goes On – Free Screening
- Secondhand Furniture sale
- Bubble Rush – Avery Hill Park
- Innervisions Festival | Janet Kay & Carroll Thompson
The Handmaiden [Extended Edition]
Deptford Cinema is proud to present Park Chan-Wook’s THE HANDMAIDEN [Extended Edition]
“With help from an orphaned pickpocket (Kim Tae-ri), a Korean con man (Ha Jung-woo) devises an elaborate plot to seduce and bilk a Japanese woman (Kim Min-hee) out of her inheritance. The Handmaiden is the latest opus from South Korean auteur Park Chan-Wook, renowned for his brutal Vengeance trilogy: Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, Oldboy and Lady Vengenance. Recently, Chan-Wook had his first venturing into english language cinema with Stoker, starring Mia Wasikowska and Nicole Kidman – a similarly seductive domestic drama with an intense mix of horror and thrills which follows a girl whose world comes crashing down when her father dies in a car accident, adding to the emotional turmoil is the sudden arrival of her uncle and unstable mother.”
An ambitious and bold three-part noir which unfolds across more than two-and-three quarter hours, there isn’t a moment where your eyes won’t be focused on the rich cinematography, tranquil settings and not to mention, the gleeful sexual deviance and unfurling Hitchcock-like storytelling.
Ultimately, The Handmaiden serves the purporse as a form of historical fantasy in which love conquers all, but not in the ways one might expect. It is greatly inspired by the novel Fingersmith, a historical crime novel set in Victorian Era Britain, by Welsh Writer Sarah Waters. The setting in the film changed from Victorian era Britain to Korea under Japanaese colonial rule.
The screening of The Handmaiden [Extended Edition] will be held at Deptford Cinema on Friday 26th of April 2019.
Film | The Handmaiden [Extended Edition]