- Curator’s talk with Ellen Greig
- Start Selling Online Without Buying Products – Dropshipping Ecommerce E-commerce
- A Day on Potential at Birkbeck – University of London
- We Love Soul meets ActiveLove Roof Terrace BBQ Ft. Ingrid
- Easy – Healthy – Delicious at Rachel’s Kitchen
- Last Frame Smartphone Film Festival
- Lynn Ruth Miller and Ben Clover at Comedy Cabin
- An Orchestral Rendition of Kanye West
- The Dark Eighties: Cult 80s Hit Party
- Century Twenty Design Shows – Midcentury Modern Furniture and Homeware Fair
Jane Yeh, Discipline: Book Launch at The Poetry Café
Please join us to celebrate the launch of Jane Yeh’s third collection, Discipline, a Poetry Book Society Spring 2019 Recommendation. This event will be a celebratory party without readings. The Café’s bar will be open for refreshments, and copies of the book will be available to buy.
In Discipline, her third collection, Jane Yeh depicts a haunting and hilarious variety of lives, from an endangered young rhinoceros to the denizens of the 1980s New York club scene. These multifaceted poems explore the nature of identity — as performance, as struggle, as change, as art — channeling the voices of outsiders, artists, misfits, and (O)thers. Disciplineinhabits the space between the real and the surreal, a mash-up of deadpan humour and heartbreaking imagery where novelty T-shirts and lady astronaut centaurs can coexist. The poems — inspired by videos, paintings, and installations by contemporary artists, animals, and city life — bristle with striking details and observations. Imaginary landscapes converge with episodes from recent history to comment on resistance, power, and the structures of oppression. These miniature dramas perform their own autopsies: ‘Sweet, then sour. My lips the colour of Doubt’.
Jane Yeh was born in America and has lived in London since 2002. She is a Lecturer in Creative Writing at the Open University. Her first collection of poems, Marabou (Carcanet, 2005), was shortlisted for the Whitbread, Forward, and Aldeburgh poetry prizes.
She was named a Next Generation poet by the Poetry Book Society for her second collection, The Ninjas(Carcanet, 2012). Her third collection, Discipline, is a Poetry Book Society Recommendation and is out from Carcanet in March 2019.
Jane Yeh, Discipline: Book Launch at The Poetry Café will be held on Wednesday 13th of March 2019.
Culture | Jane Yeh, Discipline: Book Launch