- Bat The Father, Rabbit The Son Written and performed by Donal O’Kelly
- Feeding Time: an event by and for young people aged 14 to 19
- Secret Sunrise London – Earth Hour Global Dance at Southbank Observation Place
- Movies, Memories, Magic at the iconic Cinema Museum
- Indian Hatha Yoga, Pranayama & Mantra With Ravi Dixit
- Kanan Gill Live – Central London at Greenwood Theatre
- Mobo Award-Winning Club Rotation Returns To Subterania
- Rave Rituals Saturday Rave
- Performance by Adam Christensen at Camdens Art Centre
- Paint like Picasso! Shoreditch
Day Conference ‘Surrealism & Psychoanalysis: Conquest of the Irrational?’
“It would be very interesting to investigate analytically how a picture like this came to be painted.” (Freud)
In 1938 Salvador Dalí met Freud in London, bringing with him his painting Metamorphosis of Narcissus and a new article about his ‘paranoiac-critical’ method, first described in his book Conquest of the Irrational.
Freud was an inspiration for the Surrealists and they were well-versed in his ideas, particularly his work on dream theory, free association, and investigations into the workings of the unconscious. In the 1924 Surrealist Manifesto, André Breton defined Surrealism as “pure psychic automatism”, in other words, the uncensored workings of the unconscious. In later years Jacques Lacan’s close relationship with the Surrealists led to a lasting bond that continued to link psychoanalysis and surrealism until the present day. Can the paranoiac-critical method be a valid means of understanding psychosis?
This conference will address psychoanalysis and its impact on Surrealism and the impact of Surrealism on psychoanalysis, bringing together art historians, psychoanalysts, authors and artists to reflect on the many facets of this relationship.
The Question of Play Analysis: Surrealism, Psychoanalysis and the Game of Symbolically Functioning Objects
Narcissism, Censorship and the Unconscious
The Missed Encounter (Reading)
Art, Dreams and Psychoanalysis
Abstracts and biographies to follow.
Day Conference ‘Surrealism & Psychoanalysis: Conquest of the Irrational?’ will be held at Freud Museum Sunday 27th January 2019.
Culture | Day Conference ‘Surrealism & Psychoanalysis: Conquest of the Irrational?’