- Met prepares for Pride in London celebrations
- Transport for London reports record high levels of cycling in the capital
- Luxury Fashion and Jewellery Pop-up at Morton’s Private Members Club
- 2019 – 30th Ealing Beer Festival
- Contemplate – free art exhibition exploring identity through food
- Olympia live at The Old Blue Last
- Life Goes On – Free Screening
- Secondhand Furniture sale
- Bubble Rush – Avery Hill Park
- Innervisions Festival | Janet Kay & Carroll Thompson
Building a versatile and multi-faceted creative enterprise
“Expect that your business model can change direction in a second and be prepared to go with it. People who don’t like change stagnate and die with the times.”
– Soo Turner, 2019
Our monthly talk series at Cass Art will explore what it means to be a creative business owner in 2019.
Guest speaker Soo Turner and host Susan J Mumford give their perspectives on the evolving gallery model, the innovative ways that one-person creative enterprises are developing not only to survive but to feed the creative genius’s multitude of ideas, how galleries and artists are working together and more. The talk includes a frank look at the realities, opportunities and challenges of today’s art world.
The following questions will be answered:
- What are some emerging trends, opportunities and challenges in the art world today?
- How can having an entrepreneurial mindset help – or hinder, a creative professional?
- What attitudes, behaviours and skills are essential to survival?
As a result of the talk, you will…
- Gain a broad brush strokes understanding of the art world as a whole from the perspective of a successful gallerist and entrepreneur with 25 years’ experience running three businesses;
- Understand the ways galleries and artists are working together in today’s art world;
- Hear up to date insider stories fresh from Miami Art Week and London Art Fair;
- Have a refreshed view of the various parameters of representation, self-representation and the different models for working with dealers ;
- Better understand the work gallerists and dealers do to sell work, manage projects and strengthen existing and new collaborations; and
- Gain a new appreciation for the core basics included in any business model to find and channel your inner entrepreneur.
Soo and Susan will use real world examples to offer insights which will help you take action and build your own thriving art business.
About the speakers:
Soo Turner – Gallerist, Framer and owner of ArtPakk
In 2011 Turner Barnes Gallery was established to run alongside Interior Angle, picture framers, which opened its doors in Chelmsford in 1994. Now in her 25th year of business, Soo has two gallery spaces, employs four gallery staff & two framers, and has also launched an art packaging company ArtPakk, a reusable art bag. Soo Turner has recently exhibited in Miami at one of the World’s largest Art Fairs. With her finger on the forefront of the art market, she works with some of the most currently sort after artists such as The Connor Brothers and Dan Baldwin.
Susan J Mumford
Susan J Mumford is a game-changer in the 21st Century art world. She’s an entrepreneur, mentor, speaker, moderator and author. While running her gallery in Soho, London, she founded the Association of Women Art Dealers (AWAD), an international non-profit membership network that facilitates business and collaborations with members operating to high professional standards. This was followed by the creation of Be Smart About Art, an online-accessible professional development platform based out of London that helps creative professionals thrive in a changing world. In late 2015, her first book was published: Art is your life. Make it your living.
Based in Lewes, East Sussex, Susan works locally, in London, around the UK, the USA, Continental Europe and online, running workshops, lectures and courses, delivering 1-2-1 sessions, facilitating panel discussions, judging prizes and more.
Building a versatile and multi-faceted creative enterprise talk will be held at Cass Art Tuesday 26th February 2019.
Business | Building a versatile and multi-faceted creative enterprise